Saturday, February 20, 2010

GeneaBloggers Games update

I'm participating in the Winter 2010 GeneaBloggers Games (inspired by the Olympics) in order to organize the folders and boxes and photos cluttering up my desk and the floor around it.   I'm "competing" primarily in the "Backing Up" and "Organizing" events.

So far, most of my database info and many photos are backed up on CDs and/or online, but I've started looking for deals on jump drives and photo storage boxes, so I'm still working on the "bronze medal" in the Backing Up category.  Meanwhile, a very important and immediate goal is to download images from my Ancestry.com tree that are online now but not on my hard drive, starting with my images of Acadian and French-Canadian records from the Drouin collections there.  Some readers may recall that the Drouin collection was temporarily pulled from Ancestry.com while a dispute between the collection's owner and Ancestry (the distributor) was settled.  I don't want to lose that info if things aren't resolved permanently between the parties.  This is also an issue to keep in mind for other collections and online services, if you have many records stored online but not in your physical possession.

In the Organizing category so far, I've organized at least a couple hundred pieces of paper into 4 major categories (folders): To Enter (info for my database), To Scan (documents, other paper info), To File, To Do (people/places to contact to give info or ask for info), so I think I currently have a Bronze Medal for organizing & am working on a silver.  Part of my desk and floor is now clear.  Progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment