Wednesday, February 24, 2010

(Not So) Wordless Wednesday: A tale of two marriages

 
 My husband and I share a kiss after dancing at our October wedding in California.

 
My 88-year-old dad contemplates his own 58-year-old wedding portrait, displayed at my wedding.

A few days ago, I was looking through photos of my October wedding that were recently given to me by a cousin.  The ones of my dad are particularly poignant because he died in January after a long battle with cancer. 

Amidst the whirl of wedding planning, and perhaps because Dad was so strong and upbeat for so long (although we knew his condition was serious), it didn't occur to me that his marriage to my mom might be ending not long after mine and my husband's began--I just wanted him to be there and for us to have a good time as a family while he was still doing well.  I wonder if that thought occurred to him while admiring the portrait above? 

Knowing Dad, he probably made a joke about "Who's that good-looking couple?" or something, but the juxtaposition of the two marriages just struck me while looking at the photos, and not long after my mom's first Valentine's without Dad.

For more, I also remember Dad here and write about his Navy service here.

Photos copyright 2010 by Angus Hall; text copyright 2010 by Liz Hall Morgan.

1 comment:

  1. The Great and Powerful Ter-BearFebruary 24, 2010 at 9:57 PM

    All I can say about the first photo is: "Who's that good looking couple?" :)

    ReplyDelete