Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Tombstone (-less) Tuesday: Aurore Legere


I'm taking a page from Lucie LeBlanc Consentino and declaring this a "Tombstone-less Tuesday" post.  This is the only record that I've found so far of the child "Orore," probably a phonetic spelling for "Aurore," daughter of Constant Légère and his third wife, Eudalie or Idalie Landry, and my (half-) great-aunt.   Aurore doesn't even appear in that mainstay of Cajun secondary sources, Rev. Donald Hebert's Southwest Louisiana Records.  I may check with St. John's in Lafayette or St. Peter's in Carencro (established c. 1874) to see if there is a record of her which didn't make it into Hebert's volumes.  By my calculations, based on the info above and the birth dates of the other children, she was born between October 1870 and March 1871.

The list of children excerpted above was probably printed in a church bulletin; I remember the framed original was displayed at my dad's cousin Ashton (a.k.a. "Nacoon") Legere's house.  Cousins, was it a written list, or was it done in needlework?  I can't quite remember, though I did take notes from it.  Not all the info was exactly correct, by the way, if you happen to have a copy (which is why I haven't reproduced the entire list here).  It was apparently compiled from memory by Constant or Octavie, his fourth wife, many years after some of the children's deaths, and perhaps expanded by Ashton.

No comments:

Post a Comment